Our Upcoming Events
Looking for an African Culture Connection workshop or other event? Bookmark this page and check back regularly!
Currently scheduled community events include:
- Saturday, Oct. 6th – “Lights On After-School“ celebration hosted by Collective For Youth, 10:00am-2:00pm, at UNO, Sapp Fieldhouse
- Free & Open to the Public
- Enjoy lunch, hands-on activities, student performances, community exhibits, & parent activities
- ACC will have an arts/crafts booth
- Friday, Nov. 30th – “Holiday Cultural Festival“, 5:00pm-9:00pm at the Durham Museum (801 S. 10th Street, Omaha, NE)
- Open to the public; family-friendly
- Performances, shopping, food, and more
- ACC will perform and have a booth with authentic African items for purchase
- Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 23rd-24th – “Africa Djawa” presented by African Culture Connection, (Time TBA), at Scottish Rite Masonic Center (202 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE)
- (Stay tuned for further details.)
School residency final performances allow students the opportunity to showcase what they have learned with ACC. These performances are all free and open to the public. Currently scheduled school residency final performances include:
- (Check back later this fall.)
ACC in the News
African Culture Connection is regularly featured in the news. To learn more, check out the links below.
- Charles Ahovissi Receives the 2012 Governor’s Heritage Arts Award – Nebraska Arts Council
- National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award
- The White House
- Congratulatory Letter from Omaha Mayor, Jim Suttle
Grant announcements – African Culture Connection thanks all of our important funders for their generous support:
- Humanities Nebraska: ACC received a grant of $10,000 for Student-focused Authentic Cultural Experiences with African Culture Connection for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Lincoln Financial Foundation: ACC received a grant of $8,000 for the ACC/OPS Multicultural Arts/Middle School Social Studies Curriculum Integration Pilot Program for in-school programming for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Lozier Foundation: ACC received a grant of $10,000 for general operating support in fall of 2017.
- Nebraska Arts Council: ACC received an Arts Learning Project Grant of $9,772 for the ACC/OPS Multicultural Arts/Middle School Social Studies Curriculum Integration Pilot Program for in-school programming for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Omaha Community Foundation: ACC received a Jetton Charitable Fund grant of $15,000 for Student-focused Authentic Cultural Experiences with African Culture Connection for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Peter Kiewit Foundation: ACC received an ArtStock grant of $20,000 to partially fund capacity building for 2018.
- Weitz Family Foundation: ACC received a grant of $10,000 for general operating support in 2018.
Become a Program Community Partner
If your school or organization is interested in collaborating with African Culture Connection, please fill out the form below and submit it. We’ll contact you with the information you’re looking for.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
If you’re interested in volunteering your time and helping out with an African Culture Connection event, please let us know by contacting us and giving us specific details regarding how you’d like to contribute.